Happy happy National Puppy Day! Of course in my book, all dogs are puppies, regardless of age. As with any pet-centered holiday, take this as an excuse to celebrate your pet (safely!) and have fun!
Here are a few ways you can do this with your canine companion:
- ADOPT! You don’t necessarily have to adopt a puppy – they do require work, training, and socialization. It’s important to find the right home for the right pet.
- Volunteer at your local shelter. Exercise puppies, socialize them, and/or teach them basic obedience commands. Fostering is also a great way to volunteer and help a shelter animal.
- Training your puppy! Ensuring your dog can walk correctly on a leash so that you are walking your dog rather than the dog walking you is super important.
- Ensure that your puppy is well-socialized around other people and dogs and exposed to new experiences.
- Assist an elderly neighbor or friend by walking their pooch for them or helping them take their dog to the vet.
- Have a puppy party! Invite all your friends and their puppies.
Want more ideas? Check out these 50 ways to celebrate and National Puppy Day’s site or Facebook page.
All photos courtesy of Pexels